Lunacy – evaluation

With the website up and running, which can be accessed here, I want to reflect on the experience of a group project, what worked, what didn’t and why.

I believe that I started the project with the idea that each person had certain things they were good at, and whatever you weren’t good at, you didnt touch on.

This became false very quickly.

Design can only go so far without testing it with html/php, everything had to look good on the web, not just in Photoshop. I felt like I was a little ignorant to the difficulty and monotonous labouring of creating a website, especially with the implementation of a database.

MySQL was probably the most challenging thing for me as the language is very different from normal php, it took a lot of time to get used to the logic of php and to mix in sql made it fairly overwhelming and confusing.

Luckily, the point of a group project is to help one another and I believe the general teamwork (besides for the 2 people that did not show up at all) was very good. We would look over each others codes, images, bios and all had an understanding of the groups strengths and weaknesses. Communication both online and in real life was constant, and we had a working(ish) prototype much earlier than some of the groups.

Having not worked on a project with a focused group before, and generally being a creative and idea-full person, perhaps I somewhat forced my ideas down everyones throats, and we settled on one of the first ideas everyone agreed on. If we were to do this over, I would have made a much greater effort to brainstorm lots of ideas, combining, removing and eventually choosing one that makes slightly more sense. Lunacy itself has the biggest issue of privacy, we have no way of anonymising the stories people tell, and no kind of consent or warning about the possible content of the site containing names, dates and other private information.

Overall the project was a success in terms of working together and building a working site, but I have learned a lot more through what didn’t work and fixing it, rather than everything working perfectly all the time.


Lunacy Logo update 2

After a long blog post about coming back to your work and realising what is wrong with it, I came back to my logo and saw what was wrong with it.


Moon far too big, not transparent.


nice trimmed and resized image, the moon covers the L enough to stand out with the black letter, I’m really happy with it.


I did have a slight problem with the implementation, as it increased the size of the navbar container, the css style ‘contain’ was ineffective.


However with a fixed height of 40 pixels and the width inherited, it was fixed.

This simple fix was a major personal milestone in web designing as I was not at uni and there was no team around me, and although it is simple, having the ability to fix minor problems like this off my own back quickly felt very rewarding.

Lunacy Logo Update

Coming back to things and redesigning is the only way to improve, it is interesting to see how different (terrible) things look after some time away from it.

Linking to my last logo post here, I have come up with a much better design that fits anywhere on the site;


It is easy to get lost in the look of something, previous logos with starry backgrounds and lots of colour and images do not get to the point of a logo. The purpose of a logo is to give a visual representation of your product or company. Stars, lens flares and big flashy images do not represent a sleek, easy to use application.

Perhaps some further editing is needed, as we have a very limited space of 40 pixels height for the navigation bar, and the writing is quite small when implemented on the site.

Lunacy update

A big issue being a designer first and foremost is the battle between something looking pretty and actually working. Translating ambitious mock ups into working websites comes with much sacrifice, something I learned the hard way.

One of the main visual aspects of the website was to have the inclusion of a moon, either in the logo or as the background.


“flashy designer mock up”


“messy integration into php”


even when I managed to center it and it seemed to look acceptable;


it came with the issue that the image was ‘contained’ in all of the containers, which meant it continuously tiled.

Also the visual cluster of white text and a light grey/white background was not appealing, the clean, solid blue look is much more user friendly, and keeps in line with the angular, ‘metro’ style of todays technology.


Lunacy – group project

Our group project idea stems from sites like Reddit and FML, where users can post text, and that text can be voted on in multiple ways.

to use Lunacy, one must post a short story (50 – 100 words max) about their night out in Bournemouth, possibly with pictures attached. Users can vote on stories based on how ‘crazy’ that story is, and whether or not that story is made up or real. The craziest, most real being featured at the top of a stream of posts.


mock up of the website